Over 30 years I have organised thousands of interviews and received a lot of feedback. One of the most surprising comments clients make is ‘why don’t candidates prepare any interview questions in advance?’
I have spent years researching good interview questions. Obviously, there are job specific ones that will come up before and during the interview and you should have some prepared about the specific company you are meeting but the best ones I have gathered that clients like the most are listed below.
There are only 5! Make sure they are appropriately timed.
Note that none are technically detailed or rely on your knowledge / capability. They simply but powerfully demonstrate your interest in the company and their opportunity.
- What do you think are the most important qualities for someone to excel in this role?
- What are your expectations for this role during the first 30 days and year 1?
- What are the biggest opportunities facing the company right now?
- Who do you consider your top competitor, and why?
- My overall favourite: What do you like best about working for this company?